Citizenship Ceremony

Discussion about Irish Immigration & Visa issues.
Please Note: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information presented here. Use it at your own risk

Moderators: sksopirala, cais

Citizenship Ceremony

Postby binu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi,

Recently my wife got her decision on naturalisation application and the ceremony is on Dec 13th.

We have a travel plan early January due to sisters wedding and the tickets were booked months ago. Passport may be delayed due to Christmas Holidays in Between.

They have given an option to change the naturalisation ceremony to a later day but they do not assure a place in the next ceremony.

Has anyone changed their naturalisation ceremony date due to some travel plan etc? Or any info on anyone who changed it. I mean will she have to wait for another year or so to get a place or it may be a matter of either next ceremony or the one after..

Any information in this regard much appreciated.

Regards
binu

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Citizenship Ceremony

Postby reddyu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi i think the best might be to do

go through ceremony get the cert, but dont apply for passport, when you come back you can apply

i know its illegal to have indian passport when you have irish citizenship bla bla ,

but its up to you

Regards
Reddy
reddyu
Seasoned Member

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby binu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:04 pm

Thanks for the info Reddy.

But for accepting the naturalisation programme, we have to submit the original GNIB card along with the €950 fee.

So when we are returning from India, that will be a problem at Dublin airport, i mean without a valid GNIB Card

Regards
binu

Postby abhimet » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:54 pm

I suggest not to travel on Indian passport after your naturalization as Indian embassy can check the date of issue on Nat certificate and compare with stamp on your Indian passport during renunciation process and you will be liable to pay the fine.

So best is postpone the ceremony to next one and its very much possible and most probably you will get a seat of you tell them well in advance.

BTW, if you want to take your chances then you can apply for urgent passport as soon as you get Nat certificate, but then you will need Indian visa and that might be a complicated

best of luck
abhimet
Seasoned Member

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby inboxforprasad » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:32 pm

You can go to India and come back with in 3 months without any issue (happily)... Indian govt. allow '3 months' as grace period before you apply for OCI or Visit visa for travel to India.

Just 'Google' for 3 months period, you will find many posts, particularly from the Indian embassy sites all over the world!
http://www.hcindia-au.org/misc_consular_services.html

Good luck,
another Indian-Irish
inboxforprasad

Postby the_DG_man » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:58 pm

this is the best way to go about it in my opinion..
1) apply for the emergency irish passport after you get the naturalisation.. this will cost more but you'll get it within a couple of days according to my native irish friends.
2) apply for OCI on emergency as well which will cost you more but i think i read that you get it that day itself.

Best you confirm these with the irish passport office and indian embassy.

If everything fails, request to postpone the ceremony because you already made travel plans.
I'm not sure if the above mentioned emergency conditions apply to first time passport and oci card.
Hope everything goes well!

Good luck :)
the_DG_man
Seasoned Member

Have thanks: 20 times

Postby slash » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:45 am

Dear ALL;
I have been through similar situation last year.
For first time applicants they wont issue Emergency passport.
I my case I went out of Ireland, after making and application for Irish passport and as I don't have the GNIB card with me,I took along mY Naturalization Certificate.
Showed that to the Customs and they are happy, because once you have the Certificate and you have taken the oath,then you are a Citizen of Ireland.
However,Make sure you attend the ceremony,there is no guarantee that you may get a place in the next and how long it may take.So take no chances there.
Happy Jnry
Nimai
slash
Seasoned Member

Have thanks: 3 times