Medical Insurance for Long Stay Visa

Discussion about Irish Immigration & Visa issues.
Please Note: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information presented here. Use it at your own risk
RYB
Antispam: No

Medical Insurance for Long Stay Visa

Post by RYB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:59 am

Hi all,

I have applied for a long stay visa based on my Critical Skills Employment permit. I had applied by 12th November 2018. But, till now the decision on my visa application is not yet received.

I have made an enquiry through contact us portal in immigration website and got reply that the medical insurance for 12 months is needed. Is it mandatory? as it is mentioned as optional one for visa application and mat required during entry at irish port.

Please let me know if anyone come across such circumstances.

TIA.

Boopathy

devguy
Seasoned Member

Re: Medical Insurance for Long Stay Visa

Post by devguy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:09 am

RYB wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:59 am
Hi all,

I have applied for a long stay visa based on my Critical Skills Employment permit. I had applied by 12th November 2018. But, till now the decision on my visa application is not yet received.

I have made an enquiry through contact us portal in immigration website and got reply that the medical insurance for 12 months is needed. Is it mandatory? as it is mentioned as optional one for visa application and mat required during entry at irish port.

Please let me know if anyone come across such circumstances.

TIA.

Boopathy
Did you made single application or joint application with spouse? Ideally it should take 4-5 weeks for single application. Also, I think, if your employer is providing Med Insurance and it is mentioned in employment contract you can refer it to them. Someone more experience with this process can confirm.

RYB

Post by RYB » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:34 am

Hi,

I have made a single application for me. till today it's been around six weeks to get my long stay visa.

My employer is not providing me a medical insurance until i arrive at Ireland.

Its Christmas now, any idea when visa officials resume office and when i will get work visa?

TIA

sumeet.tewar
Seasoned Member

Post by sumeet.tewar » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:23 am

Hello RYB,

I have talked to a few people already in ireland, seems none had a medical insurance upfront while filing visa. they took it once travelling dates were confirmed. Also if ur employer presents you insurance once you land in ireland, what is the issue there?
Isn't it ridiculous to buy insurance before the visa?

ankitagarwal
Seasoned Member

Post by ankitagarwal » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:35 am

sumeet.tewar wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:23 am
Hello RYB,

I have talked to a few people already in ireland, seems none had a medical insurance upfront while filing visa. they took it once travelling dates were confirmed. Also if ur employer presents you insurance once you land in ireland, what is the issue there?
medical insurance is not required unless your employer provides you. Also, this is somewhat mandatory before entering Ireland. As you mentioned that you would be on probation for the first six months and the employer would not provide the same, in that case, you need to make your own arrangements.

RYB

Post by RYB » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:17 pm

sumeet.tewar wrote:
Hello RYB,

Hi Sumeet,

Thanks for your reply.

It is been 6 weeks now after i applied my long stay visa. when i had to check the status of my visa, i got the reply from visa officials that documents like visa is needed. I'm not sure whether that is a specific one or a standard automated reply.

I have my friend who joined a company in Ireland who also says what you said.

Please let me know, if you get any more updates on this.

Thanks once again.

Regards,
Boopathy

RYB

Post by RYB » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:21 pm

ankitagarwal wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:35 am
sumeet.tewar wrote:
Hello RYB,

medical insurance is not required unless your employer provides you. Also, this is somewhat mandatory before entering Ireland. As you mentioned that you would be on probation for the first six months and the employer would not provide the same, in that case, you need to make your own arrangements.
Hi Ankit,

Indian companies are not providing insurance for more than 90 days. My doubt is whether this medical insurance is really mandatory for taking a decision on my visa?

Please let me know if you get any further updates on this.

Thanks
Boopathy

sumeet.tewar
Seasoned Member

Post by sumeet.tewar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:09 am

Hello @Boopathy,

Did you submit a copy of insurance to the embassy or still awaiting?
when did you submit your visa to vfs? when did u track the status?

RYB

Post by RYB » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:44 am

Hi,

I haven't submitted my insurance to Visa office. As the validity is 90 days only.

I had submitted my application on 12th November. And I checked status last week before Christmas.

TIA

sumeet.tewar
Seasoned Member

Post by sumeet.tewar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi Boopathy,

Have you got any information from others as to what needs to be done now?
Also your employer totally does not provide insurance?
or there is a 6 month probation clause after which you will have insurance from the employer.

RYB

Post by RYB » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi Sumeet,

I'm in Ireland now. I have came through the immigration at all the gates smoothly.

No one asked for medical or travel insurances.

My employer is not providing any insurance even after my probation, I guess. But, I can use the general medical coverage by Irish Government.

Thanks

dineshbala

Post by dineshbala » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:17 pm

@RYB, it would be great if you can provide me the details of the list of required document for GARDA border control.

balac_m
Seasoned Member

Post by balac_m » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:53 am

dineshbala wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:17 pm
@RYB, it would be great if you can provide me the details of the list of required document for GARDA border control.
You need your passport, work permit and the offer letter/contract. Once they verified, they will capture you and assign you with the GNIB number and ask you to visit the Garda within three months. They will ask you regarding your stay as well.

balac_m
Seasoned Member

Post by balac_m » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:55 am

RYB wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:29 pm
Hi Sumeet,

I'm in Ireland now. I have came through the immigration at all the gates smoothly.

No one asked for medical or travel insurances.

My employer is not providing any insurance even after my probation, I guess. But, I can use the general medical coverage by Irish Government.

Thanks
Not to worry if you are healthy and active but I recommend to get the private insurance coverage if you are with the family and register with a GP if you are with kids.

RYB

Post by RYB » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi Bala,

Thank you. It would be of great help if you suggest good insurance companies and plans (if any).

I plan to bring my family here after 4-5 months. I have one child and one infant.

TIA.