Moving car from UK to Dublin

Discussion about Irish Immigration & Visa issues.
Please Note: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information presented here. Use it at your own risk
abhi6512
Antispam: No

Moving car from UK to Dublin

Post by abhi6512 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:59 pm

Hello Friends,
I have my CSEP & visa done recently & I will be moving to Dublin soon.
I have been driving a car in UK & have a Uk driving license. I intend to take my car to Dublin but not sure of:

1. Do I need to re-register the car with Irish driving authority (something like DVLA in UK)?
2. Are there any issues with Diesel car in Ireland (London is coming up with ULEZ scheme where Diesel cars has to shell out additional fees for driving)?
3. I'm entering Ireland for first time on my work Visa, can I go through a Ferry or I need to land through an airport to clear Immigration checks?

-Abhi

balac_m
Seasoned Member

Re: Moving car from UK to Dublin

Post by balac_m » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:40 pm

1. You have to register and pay VRT and taxes. check the VRT here https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-servic ... lator.aspx
2. No issues
3. Not sure

abhi6512

Post by abhi6512 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:16 am

Hi Bala,
Thanks for your response.
I will search for answer to #3 & post the group if I'm successful.

-Abhi

abhi6512

Post by abhi6512 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:52 pm

Can I avoid VRT If I buy a car in Dublin?

-Abhi

balac_m
Seasoned Member

Post by balac_m » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:07 am

Yes. You can. If you get the car here in Ireland, you can avoid the VRT. You have to evaluate the situation. Sometimes, even after paying the VRT, the UK import will be cheaper and some scenarios it might not. Check with your car make, model and depreciation. If not suitable or costlier, sell it in the UK and get a new or used car in Ireland. Also, try if you could change the UK license to Irish license before Brexit. If you are willing to drive in the NI or UK, then get another license here. For more info https://www.ndls.ie/images/FAQ_on_Brexi ... 2Mar19.pdf

arelyn

Post by arelyn » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:22 am

1. If you have owned the car for more than 6months in UK, you will be exempted from paying VRT tax. What you will need to do is to notify them at the NCT office and they will give you a "Transfer of Residence form" to register the car into the Irish database. Your plate number and the likes will be giving to you as soon as this is done
2. There is currently no issue on diesel cars in Ireland though your annual motor tax is charged based on your car emission
3. Presently there is no boarder between UK or Ireland, I will suggest you make the necessary preparation to ship the car to Ireland, while you can come via air to sort your status in the country with ease.. Your car should get to you a few days after you are in the country.

praveenc

Post by praveenc » Tue May 07, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi,

Answer to your question - 3. I'm entering Ireland for first time on my work Visa, can I go through a Ferry or I need to land through an airport to clear Immigration checks?

Yes you can. However, your entry into the country will be formally considered when you register for the GNIB.
I came to Ireland for first time from UK and took the ferry route.