Relocating to Galway

Discussion about Irish Immigration & Visa issues.
Please Note: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information presented here. Use it at your own risk
Post Reply
India_rt
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:58 pm
Antispam: No

Relocating to Galway

Post by India_rt » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:08 pm

Hello all,
We are planning to relocate to Ireland by next year. Job location would be at Middle St, H91 R6WF. My questions are:
1. Is this locality called as Galway City?
2. A nearby residential area with some Indians in the neighborhood.
3. How to find the best school for that residential area? (Like school ratings etc)
4. How about transport facility in Galway? Is a car mandatory?
5. How is the education at a primary school for a 6 year old coming from India? Will they be able to adapt?

Thanks in advance!

balac_m
Seasoned Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:00 pm
Antispam: No

Re: Relocating to Galway

Post by balac_m » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:10 am

1. The address translates to HYNES BUILDINGS, SAINT AUGUSTINE STREET, GALWAY which is the city centre of Galway
2. Not sure! someone in Galway can help
3. You can search in Google. Choose the school near to where you are going to reside. If I were you, I will go for national schools. The best thing is, education is free in Ireland.
4. In the city centre, no. If you are going to living outside, get a car
5. Your kid will rock! don't worry. They adopt very quickly.

India_rt
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:58 pm
Antispam: No

Re: Relocating to Galway

Post by India_rt » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:18 am

Thanks a ton for the prompt reply!!!

njninja
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:33 pm
Antispam: No

Re: Relocating to Galway

Post by njninja » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:38 am

Doughiska has a lot of Indian families. And there is a school there too - http://www.merlinwoods.com/ which I know some of my colleagues kids attend. Its a little outside the city but buses are very frequent and reliable.

India_rt
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:58 pm
Antispam: No

Re: Relocating to Galway

Post by India_rt » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:27 pm

Thankyou....will check it!

India_rt
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:58 pm
Antispam: No

Re: Relocating to Galway

Post by India_rt » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:25 am

How do children commute to schools? Do all schools have school buses?

balac_m
Seasoned Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:00 pm
Antispam: No

Re: Relocating to Galway

Post by balac_m » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:09 am

Some of the schools provide the buses. But that is not always happening with all the schools. Getting a car will be helpful.

devguy
Seasoned Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:50 pm
Antispam: No

Re: Relocating to Galway

Post by devguy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:50 pm

India_rt wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:08 pm
Hello all,
We are planning to relocate to Ireland by next year. Job location would be at Middle St, H91 R6WF. My questions are:
1. Is this locality called as Galway City?
2. A nearby residential area with some Indians in the neighborhood.
3. How to find the best school for that residential area? (Like school ratings etc)
4. How about transport facility in Galway? Is a car mandatory?
5. How is the education at a primary school for a 6 year old coming from India? Will they be able to adapt?

Thanks in advance!
Hi... Even I am planning to move to Galway by early next year. Did you get any idea of the locality? What places are good to stay?

User avatar
ankitagarwal
Seasoned Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:37 am
Antispam: No

Re: Relocating to Galway

Post by ankitagarwal » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:21 am

devguy wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:50 pm
India_rt wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:08 pm
Hello all,
We are planning to relocate to Ireland by next year. Job location would be at Middle St, H91 R6WF. My questions are:
1. Is this locality called as Galway City?
2. A nearby residential area with some Indians in the neighborhood.
3. How to find the best school for that residential area? (Like school ratings etc)
4. How about transport facility in Galway? Is a car mandatory?
5. How is the education at a primary school for a 6 year old coming from India? Will they be able to adapt?

Thanks in advance!
Hi... Even I am planning to move to Galway by early next year. Did you get any idea of the locality? What places are good to stay?
I am also moving to Galway. whats your visa status @devguy ?

devguy
Seasoned Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:50 pm
Antispam: No

Re: Relocating to Galway

Post by devguy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:34 pm

ankitagarwal wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:21 am
devguy wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:50 pm
India_rt wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:08 pm
Hello all,
We are planning to relocate to Ireland by next year. Job location would be at Middle St, H91 R6WF. My questions are:
1. Is this locality called as Galway City?
2. A nearby residential area with some Indians in the neighborhood.
3. How to find the best school for that residential area? (Like school ratings etc)
4. How about transport facility in Galway? Is a car mandatory?
5. How is the education at a primary school for a 6 year old coming from India? Will they be able to adapt?

Thanks in advance!
Hi... Even I am planning to move to Galway by early next year. Did you get any idea of the locality? What places are good to stay?
I am also moving to Galway. whats your visa status @devguy ?
Applied for it on last week of november.... waiting for it

devguy
Seasoned Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:50 pm
Antispam: No

Re: Relocating to Galway

Post by devguy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:34 pm

When are you planning to move?

India_rt
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:58 pm
Antispam: No

Re: Relocating to Galway

Post by India_rt » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:33 am

njninja wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:38 am
Doughiska has a lot of Indian families. And there is a school there too - http://www.merlinwoods.com/ which I know some of my colleagues kids attend. Its a little outside the city but buses are very frequent and reliable.
This looks like a primary school. How is it different from the Educate together National schools? We are basically looking for a school where learning about one particular religion or faith isnt compulsory and there is more emphasis to Math and science. which would be the best choice for us?

Also is there any cutoff birthdate for school admissions? Like in India, in CBSE schools those kids who complete 2 years by Nov30 can join prekg by June next year. Is there a similar process in Ireland? My lil one turned 6 in Nov 2018 and doing Class1 in India. Is she eligible to join class 2 in August 2019 in Ireland?

Thanks in advance!

balac_m
Seasoned Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:00 pm
Antispam: No

Re: Relocating to Galway

Post by balac_m » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:03 pm

A lot of the good national schools are run by Catholic missions/churches. They won't enforce the religious studies. Other religion students are doing fine in the schools. The schools will exclude them in the religious aspects. Yes, the age enforcement is there. My daughter who studied in 2nd class with age 6 has to enrol class 1 here.

Post Reply