Private Healthcare: Out-of-pocket maximum

General topic discussion forum
bubun
Antispam: No

Private Healthcare: Out-of-pocket maximum

Post by bubun » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:54 pm

Could folks here who are provided a private health-insurance through their employer, answer the question? I am planning to relocate from USA to Ireland but I am not sure how the private health insurance operates there. In USA, the health-insurances have a co-pay/co-deductible, annual deductible (you pay first, once deductible is met, insurance starts paying) and an annual out-of-pocket maximum.

Could you share the info on the typical deductible and out-of-pocket maximum amount (if any), from your employer provided health insurance?

Hypothetically speaking, if someone goes through a health complication where the actual cost becomes, say 200k euro, what happens next? How much that unfortunate guy need to pay from his pocket?

Appreciate your help!!

Bubun

googol
Seasoned Member

Re: Private Healthcare: Out-of-pocket maximum

Post by googol » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:34 pm

bubun wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:54 pm
Could folks here who are provided a private health-insurance through their employer, answer the question? I am planning to relocate from USA to Ireland but I am not sure how the private health insurance operates there. In USA, the health-insurances have a co-pay/co-deductible, annual deductible (you pay first, once deductible is met, insurance starts paying) and an annual out-of-pocket maximum.

Could you share the info on the typical deductible and out-of-pocket maximum amount (if any), from your employer provided health insurance?

Hypothetically speaking, if someone goes through a health complication where the actual cost becomes, say 200k euro, what happens next? How much that unfortunate guy need to pay from his pocket?

Appreciate your help!!

Bubun
depends on the type of insurance and type of room you avail. My "guess" is that 200k bills are probably very rare. If your employer pays for a decent private insurance which costs maybe 1.5K euro per year, then the out of pocket expenses (my guesstimate) should be <2K Euro even on a 200K bill. I am extrapolating from very limited data points I have. Maybe someone who was hospitalized before could give a better idea

balac_m
Seasoned Member

Re: Private Healthcare: Out-of-pocket maximum

Post by balac_m » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:37 pm

200K Euros?? Sorry, you could do 20 heart surgeries for that amount here in Ireland. The insurance scenario is very different in Ireland. As long as you are employed, if you go to HSE(Government hospitals) you can get free treatments. The most, you will pay for the consultations around 150 Euros. That's it. If you don't want to wait, there are excellent private hospitals and you can get private health insurance for around 2.5K per annum. You may need to pay around <2000 euros if there is a major health issue.