Copenhagen vs Dublin

General topic discussion forum
ck08
Antispam: No

Copenhagen vs Dublin

Post by ck08 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if my query got posted the last time. I don't see it yet. So posting it again:
We are a family of three: my wife, my 4 year old kid, and I. I have two offers, one in Copenhagen and the other in Dublin. I have an offer of 6k in Dublin. The Copenhagen offer is almost 7k. The Copenhagen company is also paying for my health insurance. I am a little confused as to which offer to accept. I have lived in Copenhagen for a few days before, and it has good quality of life, healthy work life balance, and quite a few nice places around the city. I need some inputs on how life in Dublin is, in comparison. Is there anyone here who has lived in both cities? The points favouring Dublin, in my opinion, are:
1. English speaking, hence will be easier for my kid if we decide to go back to India.
2. Easier to get PR (5 years in Ireland Vs 8 years in Denmark).
3. More options for me to switch because there are more companies in Ireland.
4. Easier for my wife to get a job.
Cons for Ireland:
1. High rents in Dublin
2. Not sure how expensive health insurance would be.
Can anyone here help with clearing my confusion? Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

balac_m
Seasoned Member

Re: Copenhagen vs Dublin

Post by balac_m » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:55 am

Few more points for you to consider

1. Denmark tax is higher than the Irish one
2. Health insurance will cost from 400 Euros to 4000 Euros per year depending upon your choices. But a basic 800 Euros policy will cover most of the hospitals.
3. Rents are now controlled by the government in rent pressure zones. Even though it is hard to find the accommodation, you can always seek other Indian's help, which they will do happily.
4. Education is free (not sure about Denmark)

If I was you, I should go to the Dublin offer as you will get the PR in two years(consider you are in CSWP) and you can switch to any company with a higher salary.

ck08

Post by ck08 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:24 pm

Hi balac_m,
Thank you very much for your reply. I will read up on PR for CSWP holders. I was under the impression that it's only after 5 years. A few more questions:
1. Is a salary of 6k before tax enough for a family of 3 to live comfortably (I need to send around a 1000 EUR back home every month)? I checked the online tax calculators and got a figure of around 4k after tax. Is this number correct?
2. Can I claim tax rebate to some extent if, and until, my wife is unemployed?
3. Is there any kind of monthly child allowance from the government?
4. How easy is it to get long term visas for our parents (after we have our PRs, maybe)?
Thanks in advance for your help!

balac_m
Seasoned Member

Post by balac_m » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:26 pm

1. Considering that you are assessing tax as joint (married) and including home carer credit, you will get 4417 Euros to take home, after tax.
2. Yes, the home carer tax credit relief of 1500 Euros per year.
3. Yes, around 140 Euros
4. You can get a visit visa fairly easily for 90 days but more than that is not possible at the moment.

You can get PR(stamp4) is in 2 years, and Irish citizenship in 5 years. If you rent in Dublin city, it will be high but if you can rent in commuting towns, the rent will be considerably lower and a lot of public transport available like DART, Luas and buses.

ck08

Post by ck08 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:55 pm

Hi balac_m,

Thank you so very much for your help. It clears a lot of my doubts. Thanks again! :)