How hard is to get a Spousal Work Permit :)

General topic discussion forum
nanivs
Seasoned Member
Antispam: No

How hard is to get a Spousal Work Permit :)

Post by nanivs » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help me with this question. We recently relocated to Dublin. I am working with a Tech company on stamp1 (CSEP) and my wife has got a stamp3. Initially we were attracted by the fact that the spouse of a CSEP holder can work in Ireland, and more interestingly it comes with no cost. Now it turns out that this is a mis-leading statement by the Govt for whatever reason.

Here is the kicker, one can't work until he/she get an offer which then they have to apply for the work permit and it can take up to 12 weeks (That's 3 months!!! ). I doubt that on what prospective an employer in their right mind will wait for 3 months to accommodate an employee?? We are here since 3 months and my spouse attended at least 30 interviews for an HR job in 3 months !!(not a joke) however all of them (well most of them) were rejected as the employer could not wait for 6-12 weeks. Since any type of job requires a work permit , my spouse cannot apply for a lower paid work, as there isn't a chance in hell an employer will wait 3 months when they could have someone in 3 hours

I guess all of those are on dependant visa, eventually they all become homemakers no matter how experienced/educated they are.

if we both can't work here its hard to lead a good life in this expensive country. I know there are many people out there who is facing similar issues. I have always been able to find some clues/hints to my questions on this forum, therefore I request anyone for some open suggestions/hints to overcome this situation.

Cheers.

zeno
Seasoned Member

Re: How hard is to get a Spousal Work Permit :)

Post by zeno » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:45 pm

Already been discussed many times on this forum. So, please use the top right "Search" text box, there has been plenty of discussion on this topic.

On going for interviews and being rejected due to Spousal permit - I suggest you mention on the CV that you are eligible to get Spousal permit and you will apply it yourself after getting the offer letter. This will save your time as they won't call for interviews. If they still call for interviews, you clarify it first that they know your situation before you attend the interview.

jngg

Post by jngg » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi,

It doesn't take 12 weeks but rather 6 weeks or so.

We got it around 6 weeks, you have to make sure that you are providing all relevant documents in first go itself otherwise it can take time.

As a matter of fact, if the employer is a trusted partner, it might take less time.

nanivs
Seasoned Member

Post by nanivs » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Yes i have searched through this forum and found lots of people sharing the same concern but not seen many alternative options that we may have. And yes, my spouse always mentioned about spousal permit to most of the employers who contacted her. most of the went ahead with interview and in the end (few days later after the interview) they come back and say they cant wait such long time.

once again thanks for your valuable response.

cheers

zeno
Seasoned Member

Post by zeno » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:19 pm

nanivs wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:13 pm
Hi,

Thanks for your response. Yes i have searched through this forum and found lots of people sharing the same concern but not seen many alternative options that we may have. And yes, my spouse always mentioned about spousal permit to most of the employers who contacted her. most of the went ahead with interview and in the end (few days later after the interview) they come back and say they cant wait such long time.

once again thanks for your valuable response.

cheers
That is an unprofessional behavior, if they already know candidates visa status but reject later on the same reason. I dont think it is the spousal Permit. I think they get a better person during their interview process and that is the reason they do not select your Spouse later. I suggest your Spouse to upgrade a few skills which are latest in the market, and then apply for jobs. You have to beat the local candidates with something, so that a company doesn't have a choice but to give you the offer letter.

vickySkrm

Post by vickySkrm » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:43 am

jngg wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:58 pm
Hi,

It doesn't take 12 weeks but rather 6 weeks or so.

We got it around 6 weeks, you have to make sure that you are providing all relevant documents in first go itself otherwise it can take time.

As a matter of fact, if the employer is a trusted partner, it might take less time.
Hello there!
My spouse also has a stamp3 and is planning for a job search( she has just arrived in Ireland).
You mentioned in your post about 'trusted partners'..how to ensure if a company is a trusted partner in Ireland and also are there some specific job sites through which she can apply to these kind of companies?
It would be really helpful if you pls share your experience in getting a job offer for your spouse.

Thanks,
Vicky

balac_m
Seasoned Member

Post by balac_m » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:51 am

Are you here in the CSWP? if so, she doesn't need the work permit. You can go to GNIB and change the stamp 3 to stamp 1g. If you are not in the CSWP, you have to apply for the spouse work permit. It will take three months but you need the job offer to proceed.

vickySkrm

Post by vickySkrm » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:11 am

Thanks for your reply..I am not on CSWP, I have intra company transfer permit.
One of the forum members said in this discussion thread that it would take 6 weeks rather than 12 weeks or 3 months to get a work permit, which gave me some hope

balac_m
Seasoned Member

Post by balac_m » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:44 pm

It is again depending upon the employer. If they are a trusted partner, the permits can be processed in four weeks but if not, will take three months(ie. 12 to 13 weeks)

vickySkrm

Post by vickySkrm » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:18 pm

Ok, got it..it all depends on the company whether it is trusted partner or not.
I have this query : suppose she gets an offer from a company which is not a trusted partner and filed for work permit, which I can assume could take around 12 weeks.. suppose within this waiting period, she appears for interview and gets an offer from a trusted partner then can the workpermit be changed/transferred to the name of the trusted partner company instead of the first non trusted partner company which gave her the first offer?

ViRanjan

Post by ViRanjan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:52 pm

New application for new employer.