Travel through london

General topic discussion forum
mdkhan959

Travel through london

Post by mdkhan959 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi friends need ur help!
i am travlling from cork ireland via london heathrow to new delhi India. do i need any transit visa or anything. if yes what do i need to do? or i can simply travel without any extra documents. i am here (Ireland) nearly on year now.
thanks very much.
mdkhan

pawankr
Seasoned Member

Re: Travel through london

Post by pawankr » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Hi khan

I had the same questions but no one answered

I took a chance and went via heatthrow and the Immigration officer was kind enough to let me through and he also explained that we do need a visit visa to transit through London . If there is no visit visa in ur passport the officer has to make a decision and that depends on his mood and i think there is a quota available for passengers who transit without proper visa in heatthrow. So if tht quota is reached then you might not be allowed to transit .

So if u wana take a chance its upto u but i would say get a Visit visa from the british embassy so you dont have to worry

Feel free to revert back for any questions

Cheers

somasundaramj

Post by somasundaramj » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:01 am

I travelled to Dublin from Chennai during July and recently from Dublin to US through LONDON HEATHROW. But did not have any issues with the VISA. We never had that. I think it was teh system follwed for sometime aftre that bom blast. Now i think its not needed. But this is my personal experience. HAPPY JOURNEY

thottakadan
Seasoned Member

Post by thottakadan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:14 pm

If you have D Status in the visa, you can travel without any problem. I traveled from dublin to mumbai and back thru heathrow last month without any problem.

gvgdhar
Seasoned Member

Post by gvgdhar » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:50 am

I think immigration authorities at London gave Pawan a nice story about no. of transits without visa etc... he was in a good mood to tell stories. Any person with d-type visa can transit via london without a visa. As a precaution you need to carry a printout of the document which states d-type visa doesnt need a transit visa.

mdkhan959

Post by mdkhan959 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:03 am

gvgdhar wrote:I think immigration authorities at London gave Pawan a nice story about no. of transits without visa etc... he was in a good mood to tell stories. Any person with d-type visa can transit via london without a visa. As a precaution you need to carry a printout of the document which states d-type visa doesnt need a transit visa.

Thank you dear "gvgdhar" for reply but would be please little elaborate what is a d type visa.
i have a green card visa.
thanks again.

gvgdhar
Seasoned Member

Post by gvgdhar » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:04 pm

If you look for visa type in the passport then you will find it. As far as I know greencard holders get a D-type visa. Better check your visa stamp in the passport

mdkhan959

Post by mdkhan959 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:27 pm

gvgdhar wrote:If you look for visa type in the passport then you will find it. As far as I know greencard holders get a D-type visa. Better check your visa stamp in the passport
Thank you very much gvgdhar
appriciat that. :D

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:39 pm

Hiya guys,

I read a couple of posts that says abt travel through london,am really confused about it though...could somebody please tell me if the immigration officer at the dublin airport and london airport create trouble at the time of boarding??

I would be flying to Kolkata from Dublin and travelling through london(Gatwick) for connecting flights and then the return journey to Dublin would also be the same...i got a type D Visa on my passport and i also hold 5 yrs of residency as spouse of EU citizen here in Ireland,this is the first time am flying through UK with Emirates..pls pls pls put in your thoughts and suggestions!!!

Art_Vandalay

Post by Art_Vandalay » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:38 pm

No, you do not need a transit visa as long as you have a valid E.U country residence card or a 'category D' visa, and you are not going to be in the U.K for more than 24 hours.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... transit#Q5
Am I exempt from the DATV requirement?
You will be exempt from the DATV requirement and may be able to transit without visa if you hold one of the following.

* A valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel through the UK as part of a journey from another country or territory to the country for which you have the entry visa.
* A valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel through the UK as part of a journey from the country for which you have the visa to another country or territory.
* A valid airline ticket for travel through the UK as part of a journey from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America to another country or territory, as long as you do not transit (pass through) the UK on a date more than six months after the date on which you last entered Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America with a valid visa for that country.
* A valid USA I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998.
* A valid Canadian permanent resident card issued on or after 28 June 2002.
* A valid common format category D visa for entry to an EEA state – see our 'EEA and Swiss nationals' leaflet for a list of EEA states.
* A valid common format residence permit issued by an EEA state under Council Regulation (EC) number 1030/2002.

Philip

Post by Philip » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:43 am

When you visit London, travel from the Underground to the Tower and back again. London vacation packages are a fun, affordable way to see Europe's greatest city. Whether you’re fascinated by the Globe or the Avenue of Stars, from Savile Row to Tottenham Road, there's something sure to captivate you in London. Travel today with Pleasant Holidays!