General topic discussion forum
indianzeppelin
Seasoned Member
Hand, cheese, ant, mosquito or blue: the colour is?: 13
Antispam: No

Naturalisation of spouse of Irish citizen - 3-month address proofs

Post by indianzeppelin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Hi,

Not sure if this already been answered on here, but I couldn't find anything using the search function.

I am a naturalised Irish citizen, and my wife will be applying for naturalisation next month (May) based on her marriage to me.

In this category, the additional documentation to be submitted includes
Copies of three different proofs of residence in the island of Ireland for both applicant and spouse/civil partner for 3 months prior to the date of application showing date and name and current address.
Two questions about this requirement -

Q1) The way I understand it, for each of us, we need 3 documents and each of the 3 documents will need to cover 3 months. Do I understand that correctly?

Q2) Assuming the answer to the above is yes, my wife has only two proofs that cover all 3 months (bank statement and electricity bill). The rest would be letters from 3 different sources, each for a different month. So, the documents would be something like -
(a) Bank statements - from February to April.
(b) Electricity bills - February, March, and April.
(c) Hospital letter - February, Letter from Welfare about Child Benefit - March, Letter from HSE - April.

Would this work?

zeno
Seasoned Member

Re: Naturalisation of spouse of Irish citizen - 3-month address proofs

Post by zeno » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 pm

indianzeppelin wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:22 pm
Hi,

Not sure if this already been answered on here, but I couldn't find anything using the search function.

I am a naturalised Irish citizen, and my wife will be applying for naturalisation next month (May) based on her marriage to me.

In this category, the additional documentation to be submitted includes
Copies of three different proofs of residence in the island of Ireland for both applicant and spouse/civil partner for 3 months prior to the date of application showing date and name and current address.
Two questions about this requirement -

Q1) The way I understand it, for each of us, we need 3 documents and each of the 3 documents will need to cover 3 months. Do I understand that correctly?
3 different documents, one for each month prior to the application. For example: January - Electricity Bill, February - Joint Bank statement, March - Gas bill

Remember the documents should have both your and your spouse name together to prove you are living together with your spouse.

indianzeppelin wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Q2) Assuming the answer to the above is yes, my wife has only two proofs that cover all 3 months (bank statement and electricity bill). The rest would be letters from 3 different sources, each for a different month. So, the documents would be something like -
(a) Bank statements - from February to April.
(b) Electricity bills - February, March, and April.
(c) Hospital letter - February, Letter from Welfare about Child Benefit - March, Letter from HSE - April.

Would this work?
Yes, it can work, just ensure they are different documents and cover a broader range of duration i.e. at least 3 months but if they go 4 months also, it doesn't matter, I have seen. It could also be health insurance, car insurance etc.

indianzeppelin
Seasoned Member

Post by indianzeppelin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:56 am

Thanks, zeno! So, it's 1 document for each month.
zeno wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Remember the documents should have both your and your spouse name together to prove you are living together with your spouse.
I'm not sure about this since the requirement doesn't say that the documents need to have both names together (in fact, the sentence uses the singular form "name" :D).

In any case, the only proof that includes both our names together is our Electricity bill. Our yearly rental agreement also has both our names on it, but I'm not considering it since it is dated July 2017 (although it specifies the tenancy up to the end of June 2018) while the proof apparently needs the date to be in the last 3 months.

Surely if we submit 3 documents for each of us and they all have the exact same address on them down to the apartment number, it shouldn't matter if the names appear together on them or not?

zeno
Seasoned Member

Post by zeno » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:26 pm

It would be better if atleast 1 or 2 are together on both names. If some are on individual names, provide both your and your spouse's separate documents for that month (obviously for the same address). It is not very strict as you said but better to be close to the requirement.

indianzeppelin
Seasoned Member

Post by indianzeppelin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:18 am

Thanks, zeno.

I had actually emailed "Citizenship Info" before I created this post. I received a reply only today and it basically corroborates everything you have said. Posting it here for everyone's benefit -
Thank you for your email. In accordance with our requirements for
applications made under Section 15A of the Irish Nationality and
Citizenship Act 1956, as amended, you should submit three proofs of
residence for the last three months prior to the date of application e.g.
household bills, bank statements etc., which should include both your and
your spouse's name and address. If you cannot provide this, three proofs of
residence in each name should be provided.

You can submit 3 different documents, each covering 1 of the 3 monthprior
to the date of application or you can submit 3 different documents, each
covering all 3 months

The onus is on the applicant to submit sufficient proofs of residence with
your application.

Regards

Citizenship Helpdesk
Team 1

zeno
Seasoned Member

Post by zeno » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:18 pm